Week 13

For week thirteen I chose to read Batwoman Elegy. I found the idea of Batwoman being gay really refreshing. Allegedly, Batwoman was treated in order to deflect rumors of Batman's homosexuality so its kind of entertaining to see them twist her character in this way. I'm sure some people are up in arms about it but it is pleasant to have representation from a gay superhero. Otherwise I enjoyed how she works with her father to solve the case all throughout. One thing that endears me about the batman comics is the theme of family bonds, be it found family or real family. In this the family aspect is a little unexpected. I haven't really read Batwoman comics so I'm curious to see if there is any continuation of this. Also, this might be strange but although I love the crime fighting aspect of a lot of superhero comics, theres a part of me that craves the small domestic or like real-life moments that they throw in in small bits to advance character development. One part I found interesting was when Kate went to the Gala in a tux and her stepmother was uncomfortable/disapproved of it. And then she had the moment where she danced with the other girl and was hitting it off until her duties as bat woman called. It's nice to have these small relatable moments and sometimes I wish there were more. I guess this also means that the reason I hold these moments so dear is because they aren't abundant in this genre. One thing I disliked about the comic is that Batman comics generally tend to have insane/villain characters in cliches/tropes like characters that speak in riddle or (in this case lewis carol's book dialogue) I'd like to see a less "done before" kind of way to show an unstable character. Alice in Wonderland is typically a classic sort of story that gets turned on its head a lot and twisted nowadays to something "evil" and "dark" so much that it's been overdone. As a result I wasn't the biggest fan of this character, Alice.

Comments

Popular Posts